Re: Inconsistency wrt to ellipsis (...)

Recai Oktas wrote:
> Me too :-)  Shouldn't this style be extended to include '!' and '?'
> characters also?  For those who may not know the rationale behind it:
> "double space" is a pattern to distinguish the sentences. At the
> practical side, there is an Emacs keybinding and a VIM option
> (cpoptions += J) which utilizes the pattern to move between the
> sentences.

The problem with this is at the ends of lines -- in fact, Mr.
Oktas, the line above is not a sentence, but there are no
spaces to differentiate it from a line like this one, that is.
I believe that most English speakers have no difficulty
determining the end of a sentence using context. Did you
stumble at the end of the first line above? I doubt it.

In fact it would not be infeasable to write a program that
worked on any text with more success than ones using the double
spaces and simple heuristics described. Indeed, "It looks better."
would be a better justification, IMHO[1]. But that gets down to
pure personal preference, and single spaces seem more commonly
used to me, as well as wasting less of the installer's precious
memory.

tbm's right, we should make it consistent on way or the other.

--
see shy jo

[1] Note that the vim thinks the sentence with the footnote in it
    is two sentences, one ending at the end of the quote in the
    previous line.