Re: Sarge install -- still no ACPI

Jurij Smakov wrote:
On Fri, 14 May 2004, Mike Oliver wrote:
So would someone fill me in on what all these things do?  I
know in general terms what ACPI does; for example when I use
the boot options above, if I pull out the AC cable, the screen
dims, whereas it didn't when I had "acpi=off".  But I really
don't know what the implications of "noapic nolapic" are.

There seem to be a nice page detailing Linux installation and setup on
precisely the kind of machine you have [0]. It gives some recipes on
ACPI/PCMCIA fixes, so it might be useful. In particular there is a
suggestion of booting with 'pci=noacpi nolapic' which might not knock out
the ACPI completely.

[0] http://twiki.complexfission.com/twiki/bin/view/Computer/CompaqPresario2199US

Thanks much; an impressive looking page.  Unfortunately I
still don't know what these options do.  Right now it seems to
be working reasonably well with "noapic nolapic" and I think
my processor was getting kind of hot when I had "acpi=off", so
I'd probably rather leave it this way unless there's some significant
downside to "noapic nolapic".  Since I don't know what apic and lapic
are, it's hard for me to guess if there is or isn't.