Re: unused udebs?

James Troup wrote:
> There are 131 source packages in unstable that build udebs - is there
> anyway to tell which of these are actually in use by d-i?

There is no automated way to do it.

The problem with most of these is they're source packages that generate
debs too, and need to be fixed not too before the udebs are removed.

>  atari-fdisk

This may be unused but I'm not sure.

>  atk1.0
>  directfb
>  fontconfig
>  freetype
>  glib2.0
>  gtk+2.0-directfb
>  libpng3
>  pango1.0
>  ttf-freefont
>  zlib

These are part of the gtk frontend stuff, which is stalled. Probably
best to leave them to avoid having to re-add them if someone works on
that again, anyway the source packages build debs too.

>  dash

This is currently unused, but has recently been useful, and we'll get
rid of it eventually by modifying the source package.

>  dhcp
>  dhcp3

One of these is not used, but we'll keep them both in case we decide to
change.

>  discover2-dataa

The udeb from this package is obsolete and can be removed if it hasn't
been already.

>  fbset

AFAIK d-i does not use fbset-udeb.

>  fribidi

Not yet used but hopefully we'll have BIDI support eventually.

>  jfsutils

We don't currently use this package, but it can remain in case someone
wants to add the UI support for creating jfs filesystems.

>  kernel-patch-2.4.19-mips

AFAIK we're using the linux-kernel-di system for the mips kernel udebs
now, do the udebs procuded by this package are not needed. We're also up
to the 2.4.25 kernel on mips now. At least the udebs from this source
pacage can be removed, I think.

>  mac-fdisk

I don't know if this is used.

>  mii-diag

I don't know of anything that uses this or why this produces a udeb.

>  module-init-tools

Probably unnecessary now, was useful until recently.

>  modutils

The udebs produced by this package have not been used for years and
it should be modified to not produce them anymore.

>  raidtools2

I don't see anything stating a depends on this, I think we use mdadm
instead?

>  progsreiserfs
>  reiserfsprogs

AFAIK we use reiserfsprogs, and not progsreiserfs.

--
see shy jo