X, ethernet configuration

Hi all,

So I got Woody installed on a new Compaq
Presario 2199US, except I can't get either
X or networking working, so it's pretty useless
at this point.

The X problems:  the adapter is Radeon IGP
320M.  I've tried "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86"
calling it an ati, a radeon, or just a vga; nothing
works.  If I say it's ati it says it can't find
such a device, even though lspci finds it.  Similar
if I call it radeon.  vga gets closer; it flickers
a few times and then gives up.  I'll provide logs
on request.

I can't get it to find my ethernet card either, even
though again lspci finds it just fine.  It's a
National Semiconductor DP83815/816.  I
tried setting it up with
"dpkg-reconfigure etherconf".

Any ideas?  I'm a complete Debian newbie.