Re: debian-installer netboot

peccatte wrote:
Le mar 11/05/2004 à 06:47, Steve Langasek a écrit :

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 02:39:04PM +0200, Benoit Peccatte wrote:

I'm tring to compile debian-installer to be able to boot via the
network. The goal is to try it on an alpha, by my first steps are on an
i386 as it is much faster.

I made the "build_netboot" target, I think the word netboot is
misleading, because I got a mini.iso file : "tiny CD image that boots
the netboot installer". But what I want is a net-BOOT not a net-install.

It also produces two files named initrd.gz and vmlinuz, which
(supposedly) can be used together to netboot an i386 machine.  I'm not
sure of the exact semantics of this, personally.

Then the manifest is wrong. And vmlinuz is not bootable "as is". You
must modify it to make it an etherboot file or a PXE boot file.

You does not need to modify vmlinuz for netboot. You may use something like syslinux to boot it.

--
Eugeniy Meshcheryakov

Kyiv National Taras Shevchenko University
Information and Computing Centre
http://icc.univ.kiev.ua