Re: debian-installer netboot

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 02:39:04PM +0200, Benoit Peccatte wrote:
> I'm tring to compile debian-installer to be able to boot via the
> network. The goal is to try it on an alpha, by my first steps are on an
> i386 as it is much faster.

> I made the "build_netboot" target, I think the word netboot is
> misleading, because I got a mini.iso file : "tiny CD image that boots
> the netboot installer". But what I want is a net-BOOT not a net-install.

It also produces two files named initrd.gz and vmlinuz, which
(supposedly) can be used together to netboot an i386 machine.  I'm not
sure of the exact semantics of this, personally.

> How can I get a tftpboot file to really netboot ?
> How can I get same file for an alpha ?

An SRM-netbootable daily image for alpha is available at
<http://people.debian.org/~vorlon/d-i/images/daily/netboot/>.

Cheers,
--
Steve Langasek