Re: debian-sarge grub install

Hi... my progress with this issue so far.
i've been fiddling a lot with it - still to no avail.

using debian sid (i was informed on #debian that what i had was not
sarge but sid - sorry still a newbie).

i upgraded grub to the latest 0.94 (was 0.93). no change.
i deinstalled then reinstalled. no change.

i have checked the files in /boot and /boot/grub against the other box
and they look fine.

my setup for hda is as follows - from fdisk:

/dev/hda1               1         146     1172713+  82  Linux swap
/dev/hda2   *         147       14593   116045527+  83  Linux

the /boot dir is on /dev/hda2.
the correct drive is set bootable.

from grub>
grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
(hd0,1)

so it finds everything ok.

i reinstalled from grub
grub> root (hd0,1)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

no change after the above

i reinstalled from a terminal
grub-install /dev/hda1
no change.

also, during the install i tried to install lilo instead - basically it
didn't let me. selecting lilo to install just went back to grub and lilo
was never installed (i do prefer grub btw).

so after huffing and puffing i still get GRUB GRUB... all over the
screen on boot. it almost seems that it can't find stage 1.5 or 2 ( or
something).

i have deinstalled/reinstalled/updated/deleted etc... grub many many
times and still no change.

one interesting experiment was reinstalling suse and letting it write
the mbr entries. then reinstall debian, remove suse but fudge the
writing to the mbr in the debian installer. this actually worked and it
used the /boot/grub entries created by debian but the mbr was untouched
by the debian installer. i should have kept it this way i think as now i
have my system all setup and i revisisted the issue to finally fix it
using debian packages and now i'm stuffed again. currently using a boot
disk to boot into debian. i don't really want to start from scratch
again.

anyway... any suggestions would be appreciated.

Takis