Re: Definition of COUNTRY (Was: Resignation)

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 10:59:20AM +0900, Mike Hommey wrote:
> Steve Langasek wrote:
> >And this is not what it's used for.  There is only *one* French
> >translation for d-i, and likewise only one German, Japanese, or Spanish.

> What makes you think that will never change ? Why not imagine having a
> "version quebecoise" at some time ?

I have not claimed that it won't change; I'm merely pointing out that
the existing design does accomodate regional language variants, but
that this functionality is very rarely needed in practice.

> The other problem is that it seems that this screen is either used for
> selecting a language variant, or for selecting a location place. That's
> not really what we can call consistency...

I do agree that every entry in languagechooser should have a 1:1
correspondance to a translation.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer