Re: "Choose country" in Debian Installer

Christian Perrier dijo [Thu, May 06, 2004 at 07:22:01AM +0200]:
> When the first releases of countrychooser were being thought, I
> imagined this problem  and thought about using "Choose location"
>
> I was however told further that indeed "location" may seem pretty
> vague as this may be a country, region, land, state, city, school,
> whatever in the mind of the reader.
>
> Because the list is far closer to a list of countries rather than a
> list of "regions", the menu entry was finally made to "Choose
> country". Note however that the official wording of iso-3166 is used
> in the main countrychooser screens ("country, region or other area of
> geopolitical interest").....this coming from a bug raised by the
> Chinese people (mostly because it lists "China", "Taiwan blah blah",
> "Hong-Kong" and at least one of these isn't a country, strictly
> speaking)
> (...)

Maybe the best way to avoid the name-that-geographical-entity wordgame
would be to ask 'where are you', 'where do you plan on using this
computer' or something like that.

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.cx - (+52-55)5630-9700 ext. 1366