Re: Countrychooser screen wording (was: Re: Resignation)

Christian Perrier wrote:
> (please followup to -boot)
>
> Quoting John Hasler (john@dhh.gt.org):
> > Why not just say 'Area'?
> >
> > Like this:
> >
> >     /-----------------------[Choose area]------------------------\
> >     | Based on your language, you are probably in one of these   |
> >     | areas.  If you are elsewhere, choose "other".              |
>
> This is a good suggestion though I fear a bit that the main menu would
> then become a bit cryptic
>
> Choose language
> Choose area
> .../...
>
> "Country or area" is maybe the best possibility which comes to my mind.

Why not "Location"? It's AFAIK politically neutral and doesn't clutter
the screen with a multi-word description.

> About the countrychooser main menu, I begin to seriously think about a
> disclaimer:
>
> "The list below is based on official ISO-3166 country or area
> names. Debian is not responsible for these names assignments. Please
> refer to (ISO-3166 FAQ URL) for details about ISO-3166 entries."

Please don't. :-)
In the next step, some Taiwanese may question the "official", because
the UN is nothing official to them.

Thiemo