installation stucks

Hi!

After a display failure of my notebook i was forced to buy a new computer. On
the notebook I was running debian sarge and impressed of all the features I
decided to install debian on the new machine, too.

Because of the latest hardware technology on the new machine, using a AMD64
processor, my plan was to install the i386 release of debian sarge first and
then to make a chroot installation of the existing part of debian-amd64
(following the recommendations found in the net).

First of all I have to point out that I had my first sucess with the new beta
4 of the d-i, because using the linux26 boot option made it possible to
realize my cd-rom.

The first steps went well (language, country, ...) up to the point where I had
to partition the hard drive. Every try to partition it using an ext3 or ext2
file system ends with an installation stuck. Moreover the point where the
installation ends is not reproduceable. I partioned 8% of the disk -
restarted - then I was happay to partionen 30% - restarted - was happy to
partion 48% - restarted - then got just 12 % and so on.

After changing to partition the hard disk using a reiserfs it seems to
overcome the situation because the d-i startet to load the base packages. But
also here there is a certain end point - one time during the core-package
stucks again.

I tried to get more information from the archives but was not able to find
fitting messages. Therefore I kindly ask for help here:

Watching the messages on tty4 after each end up of the installation procedure
it tells me:

klog:	hde		DMA interrupt recovery
klog:	hde		lost interrupt
		dma_timer_expiry: dma status == 0

Currently I am running Suse 9.0 (i386) as the only Linux System which I could
install, using kernel 2.4.21-171-athlon. With that I partioned the hard disk
with both ext3 and reiserfs an succeded, which sounds strange thinking on a
hardware failure.

To supply you with more information here is my base hardware description:

Hard Disk controller: CMD Silicon Image Sil 3112 SATARaid Controller (using
module ataraid)
CD-ROM:		LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-812S
CPU:			AMD64 3000+
Hard Disk:		Maxtor 6Y120M0
Mainboard:		Shuttle AN50R V1.3

Not realizing the problem exactly at the moment I am sure that I not send
enough information. Be so kind and ask me for more having in mind that it is
hard for me to access necessary infos at this stage of the installation.

Maybe there are some hints how I can proceed - please help.

Siegfried