Re: r14631 - in trunk/packages/countrychooser: . debian

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 09:59:30PM +0100, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> [2004-05-03 01:32]:
> > > Well, I have no other idea for sorting else than alphabetically on
> > > language code. This was indeed discussed when I raised this bug (at

> > What ever happened to the idea of sorting by ISO codes, which are
> > probably easier to look for than English translations of one's native
> > language?

> Uh, no, sorting by ISO code is really not intuitive when the ISO code
> itself is not displayed.  Sorting by ISO code but displaying country
> names makes it really hard for me to choose the right country.  I live
> in Great Britain (GB).  So obviously I press "G"... however, "G" leads
> me to Germany, and between Germany and Great Britain, there are lots
> of other names because Germany == DE.  When I press "G", I should be
> close to all countries starting with "G".  I think sorting by what you
> see (i.e country names) is the only sane approach.  Or adding the ISO
> code before the country name, but that's kind of ugly.

Well, I seem to have crossed threads rather badly.  The idea I was
trying to promote was that of displaying the ISO *language* code in
language chooser, and sorting by it.  For countries, it probably makes
sense to sort them alphabetically by whatever language they're displayed
in.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer