Re: Accepted base-files 3.0.15 (i386 source)

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004, Joey Hess wrote:

> Santiago Vila wrote:
> >  base-files (3.0.15) unstable; urgency=low
>
> >    * Do not create /cdrom and /floppy anymore (Closes: #245188).
>
> If the idea here is to move toward a FHS /media directory, what is
> supposed to be responsible for creating that directory and populating it
> with cdrom, floppy, etc? base-files creates a /media on a fresh
> install, but it does not seem to create /media/cdrom or /media/floppy
> at all.

debian-installer has always cared about creating mount points, even
before base-files is installed by debootstrap, so it does not really
need base-files to do the same. I consider debian-installer
responsible for the move from /cdrom to /media/cdrom.

I decided to drop /cdrom and /floppy because I was told in Bug #245188
that debian-installer already creates /media/* directories and *uses* them.

> This probably breaks the debian-installer, which we are in the final
> stages of releasing. It will probably mean that lots of d-i beta 4 media
> (businesscard CDs, floppys, netboot images) becomes useless about 8 days
> after beta4 is released, when this base-files update reaches testing.
>
> I think it would be better if this change is backed out until d-i is
> switched over to using /media and it's worked out what will create the
> directories in there, be it d-i or base-files, and until after the next
> beta release of d-i from that point.
>
> Despite all this, I'm looking forward to a /media directory, I just want
> to get there without breaking the installer.

Backing out the change in base-files should not be necessary, I'll quote
from Bug #245188, which maybe you forgot to read:

  Annoyance: /etc/fstab has /media/floppy as the mount point for
  /dev/fd0, and /media/cdrom for the cd, but empty /floppy, /cdrom, and
  /cdrom0 directories are still created.

So, debian-installer *already* uses /media/* and dropping /cdrom and
/floppy in base-files will hardly break anything (not to mention that
debian-installer already created /cdrom and /floppy even before the
move to /media).