Re: [Manual] New installer options versus old boot options

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 15:43 -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> > But it is updated, I see "Starting PC card services" when I run
> > hw-detect. Is db_progress fully synchronous?
>
> The display update could easily have a race.

Then I suspect that this is the case.

> > Yes, you're right, I thought he meant whether it was possible to use
> > to option on non-i386 machines. I know that there are problems with
> > the resource ranges on other archs, but I don't think it causes any
> > freezes.
>
> It's interesting to see that the resource range has been a known problem
> since the woody release at least, with nothing done about it.

Yeah, I just remembered about the powerpc problem, where the default
resource ranges are way off, and I've now sent a mail to
debian-powerpc asking about this. Nobody has sent a bug report about
it until recently.

Or are you talking about the i386 problems? I don't really know what
to do about these. In the PCMCIA HOWTO, there is a long [1]list of
computers where you have to tweak the resource ranges. Interesting to
note, however, is that Redhat by default excludes 0x800-0x8ff (the
Dell Inspiron range), 0x380-0x3ff and IRQ 12. Perhaps we should do
something similar. The old maintainer's opinion was that we shouldn't
modify the upstream defaults. I don't know what consequences there are
when you exclude resource ranges.

[1] http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/doc/PCMCIA-HOWTO-2.html#ss2.5

--
Pelle