Re: [Manual] New installer options versus old boot options

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 13:11 -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Oddly, some report that it says it's skipping the ide-floppy driver and
> then freezes. That is right before it starts pcmcia, and maybe it does
> not update the progress bar quite right.

But it is updated, I see "Starting PC card services" when I run
hw-detect. Is db_progress fully synchronous?

> This is probably i386 only, at least all reported hangs are on i386
> hardware.

Yes, you're right, I thought he meant whether it was possible to use
to option on non-i386 machines. I know that there are problems with
the resource ranges on other archs, but I don't think it causes any
freezes.

> > Is the procedure described in:
> > http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch05s01.html#id2453819
> > still valid?
>
> This might work, but with d-i you have to do it before the hardware
> detection pass, so boot in expert mode and run a shell before running
> hardware detection.

One user reported success when I told him to edit
/etc/pcmcia/config.opts prior to hardware detection.

--
Pelle