Re: release status update

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 12:55:06PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:

>         - alpha: still SCSI cd problems?

> Please let me know of any other issues or corrections.

Other major issues on alpha, both apparently kernel related:

- qlogicisp driver doesn't work right with many (most?) SCSI cards;
  bug #238593 et al.
- both the de4x5 and the tulip drivers fail to work with many
  DECChip-based ethernet cards in the 2.4.2x series alpha kernels;
  bug #228654.

Both of these may be related to bugs in general PCI support
(particularly relating to PCI bridges), and may already be fixed in 2.6.
Unfortunately, I have no experience yet with 2.6 -- if I find that it
fixes these problems on my hardware, I may try to put together a 2.6 d-i
variant for alpha in time for beta5.

It also seems fairly certain that the netboot images don't work on alpha
(unless they were fixed while I wasn't looking).  I don't seem to have a
way to test these anyway, as telling SRM to boot from ethernet generates
no network traffic here.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer