release status update

Today's the last day of the string freeze, leaving this left in the timeline
for release:

23 april	upload translated udebs to archive
23 april	write release announcement
24 april	last possible changes to udebs on initrds
25 april	initrd builds
26 april	initrd builds continue (slow autobuilders)
27 april	cd building, testing
28 april	release beta 4

I'm trying to track status of various architectures at the top of TODO,
here is what I have so far.

        - s390: FTBFS, still no success installing
        - hppa: Hangs at discrete points during install, different on
                different machines, needs to be investigated (bdale).
        - arm: ?
        - mips: reported ok
        - mipsel: looks good
        - powerpc: need list of working subarches (oldworld?)
        - ia64: There is a devpts/sysvinit/glibc file conflict of some
                sort that breaks debootstrap. Need a bug #. (Might be
                related to #230857)
        - alpha: still SCSI cd problems?
        - m68k: need list of working subarches
        - sparc: need successful install reports from cdrom, both subarches
        - i386: Broken discover in testing makes installed system
                problimatic. Needs new discover stuff propigated in.

Please let me know of any other issues or corrections. At the moment
s390 is looking unlikely to be part of this release, while hppa should
be, and arm and mipsel are certian.

The most worrying things at the moment are the discover problem, and
the file conflict; if testing is not in a releasable state, we can't
release d-i.

We need to begin doing final testing now, to make sure all arches are
working with no regressions. We also need to do better testing of full
CD images this time around, not just netinst CDs.

A draft release announcement is now in subversion.

--
see shy jo