Re: root not mountable because of unsupported file system

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 10:00:46AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 10:14:46PM +0200, Giuseppe Sacco wrote:
> > I filed #245012 against the "package" installation-reports since I am
> > unable to find what is the right package that should handle this.
>
> The powerpc kernels.
>
> > The problem is that without initrd only some filesystems are available
> > for mounting the root device, because they are compiled into the kernel.
> >
> > I would like to have d-i know what file systems are compiled in this way
> > and let the user format the root filesystem using one of those. It might
> > be possibile to just warn the user and tell him about the problem.
> >
> > Yesterday, on powerpc, i did create a root XFS partition and, after the
> > first reboot I was unable to mount it with kernel
> > kernel-image-2.4.25-powerpc-pmac :-(
> >
> > Probably the right way is to require that all kernels used during the
> > installation have ext2/3, reiserfs, and XFS built into the kernel.
>
> This is the case on configurations other than powerpc-small. However,
> it's the wrong answer. Somebody needs to send a patch to make it use an
> initrd; since it uses kernel-package, this shouldn't be difficult.

AFAIK Sven Luther and Jens Schmalzing were working on this last weekend
and I've been told they were making steady progress. So it might be
worthwhile to check back with them before duplicating work.

I could have very well confused this with something else though.

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Debian Developer