root not mountable because of unsupported file system

Hi,
I filed #245012 against the "package" installation-reports since I am
unable to find what is the right package that should handle this.

The problem is that without initrd only some filesystems are available
for mounting the root device, because they are compiled into the kernel.

I would like to have d-i know what file systems are compiled in this way
and let the user format the root filesystem using one of those. It might
be possibile to just warn the user and tell him about the problem.

Yesterday, on powerpc, i did create a root XFS partition and, after the
first reboot I was unable to mount it with kernel
kernel-image-2.4.25-powerpc-pmac :-(

Probably the right way is to require that all kernels used during the
installation have ext2/3, reiserfs, and XFS built into the kernel.

Any idea about how to solve this?

Thanks,
Giuseppe