[l10n]best translation for layouts - console-data

I saw that the italian (and other ones) team translated "mac-fr3" as "French (Mac, alternative), but OTOH the french team translated it as " Mac (French, type 3)"...

1 - Wouldn't it be a good ideea to have an unified translation?
2 - Does everybody (Bob-user) know about type 3 / alternative layout ? I guess one of them is better known than the other, but which one? I would recomend _that_ variant for translation.

Eddy