Re: Automated xkb/kde/fonts configuration after install

Konstantinos Margaritis wrote:
> localized KDE system but I had to do some extra steps that I believe
> could be automated as well.
> These are:
> * setting up the fonty debconf value to ISO-8859-7 (for greek in
> console)
> * setting up the X keyboard debconf value to 'us,el' and the
> XkbOptions to 'grp:alt_shift_toggle' so that keymap switching is
> possible instantly.
> * Configuring KDE to use some truetype font (this one does not get
> configured with debconf and would require tampering of some KDE
> config file (.kderc probably)
>
> Now, is there a package that I could use to incorporate these
> settings? So that before the installation of the aforementioned
> packages I could preset the debconf values so that they don't get
> asked again (or if asked they should at least have a preset value).
> I thought about configure-debian, but I'm not sure, perhaps even
> base-config? If not, should I create my own package? I think that
> option is not ideal, as what I'm trying to do is not really that
> specific to greek, I presume other languages would like such a
> automatic configuration. Perhaps there is already such a package, in
> which case I would really appreciate it if you told me about it :-)

I'm sure there is such a package somewhere, but I doubt we want to use
such a package as part of the stock debian install. In particular, we
should stay away from modifying other package's config files, and
preseeding debconf questions feels a bit unclean for the default
install. Wouldn't it be better if the packages you mentioned above took
note of the system locale and behaved properly?

--
see shy jo