Re: Serbian translation begins

On 14.IV.2004 at 12:43 Christian Perrier wrote:

> This is cyrillic-written Serbian.

This is interesting.  Serbians prefer Cyrillic in their everyday life
(books, papers, etc.), however I have the impression that in computers
they use only the Latin alphabet with ISO-8859-2.  (Officialy both
alphabets can be used to write Serbian.)  I think XFree doesn't have
proper keyboard support for Serbian Cyrillic (this is easy to fix though).

> The languagechooser entry needs some fine tuning probably in a way
> similar to other cyrillic languages such as Ukrainian and Russian.

We have three options for the second stage:

1. use the locale sr_YU.UTF-8@cyrillic.  UTF-8 is a must because
   people will need to use the Sebian Latin alphabet.

2. use sr_YU.  This locale is for ISO-8859-2.  I think this is the
   most popular option in Serbia and Montenegro.  The console has to be
   a Latin console.

3. use sr_YU.UTF-8.  Like 2. but allows to use Cyrillic.

> The only valid locale with sr is currently sr_YU in libc. The chosen
> country will be however "CS" (Serbia and Montenegro) as the "YU"
> country is no longer part of ISO-3166.

Until GNU systems support CS locales YU has to be used.  Ofcource the
name of the country will be "Serbia and Montenegro", not "Yugoslavia".

> Whether an "other" country choice will be needed as Serbian may be
> spoken elsewhere will be discussed.

Serbians live also in Bosnia and Croatia.  Only 10 years ago there was
only one language named "Serbocroatian" (or sometimes "Croatoserbian")
but I suppose that Serbians in Croatia and Bosnia will prefer their
language to be named Serbian rather than Croatian or Bosnian.

Anton Zinoviev