Re: Old world status & todo (was Re: d-i oldworld mac: floppies fail on 4400/200 and 7200/75

Hi,

[why Sven's boot-floppies don't boot while Jeremie's do]
> Ok, we need to find out what is happeining here. Will we have a (or
> more) oldworld machines at the Munich BSP ?

On saturday (the whole day) and sunday morning I can participate via IRC.

> BTW, Jeremie, maybe you would be interested in coming too ?
>
> > Then I installed unstable, which installed kernel-image-2.4.25-powerpc.
> > This package installs the kernel to /boot/vmlinux-2.4.25-powerpc, but
> > doesn't create a link to /boot/vmlinux. I think this is a bug, because
> > quik (and
>
> Well, it is problematic. The current kernel package is shared by
> oldworld and new world, and the selection of yaboot or quik is done at
> package building time. This is a limitation of kernel-package, which we
> have to somehow work around. I would be really happy if we could get
> ride of it. The idea is for the kernel-modules package to worry about
> modules overwriting, and of the kernel-image package to select at
> install time what boot loader is used, or even better to move this logic
> into the boot-loader packages.

I'm not talking about bootloader stuff. What I request is that the powerpc
kernel packages create a link from /boot/vmlinux-2.x.y-whatever to
/boot/vmlinux and that this link is recreated at the re(installation) of a
new kernel-image-package.

That way, quik and yaboot, can both assume the default kernel resides in
/boot/vmlinux.

In my opinion this link should be created by the kernel package not by a
bootloader which only uses the link. Or did I overlook something ?

> BTW, what version of the kernel did you use, and were you able to boot
> it without problems ?

The installation kernel was kernel-image-2.4.25-powerpc-pmac-small from
Jeremie and the then installed kernel was kernel-image-2.4.25-powerpc-pmac
from you, Sven. Both worked without problems on a 4400/200.

> > Should I fill a bug report against kernel-package-2.4.25-powerpc (quik
> > needs the link) ?
> You can, but it will not bring much. I am aware of this problem, as
> explained above, but it is not an easy fix.

Do you still think it's difficult to fix and I should not fill a bug report ?

regards,
	Holger