Re: Old world status & todo (was Re: d-i oldworld mac: floppies fail on 4400/200 and 7200/75

On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 10:58:14AM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,

> > Ok.
> >
> > Now wee need to see why this happens. It seems that nobody was able to
> > make it work with the boot floppies built by me, is that exact ? Only by
> > those built by Jeremie.
>
> I can confirm this. Yesterday I've tried your boot.img (from April-09) for
> another round, still without success. Jeromies bootfloppy and your root- and
> net-driver-floppy work fine.

Ok, we need to find out what is happeining here. Will we have a (or
more) oldworld machines at the Munich BSP ?

BTW, Jeremie, maybe you would be interested in coming too ?

> Then I installed unstable, which installed kernel-image-2.4.25-powerpc. This
> package installs the kernel to /boot/vmlinux-2.4.25-powerpc, but doesn't
> create a link to /boot/vmlinux. I think this is a bug, because quik (and

Well, it is problematic. The current kernel package is shared by
oldworld and new world, and the selection of yaboot or quik is done at
package building time. This is a limitation of kernel-package, which we
have to somehow work around. I would be really happy if we could get
ride of it. The idea is for the kernel-modules package to worry about
modules overwriting, and of the kernel-image package to select at
install time what boot loader is used, or even better to move this logic
into the boot-loader packages.

BTW, what version of the kernel did you use, and were you able to boot
it without problems ?

> quikconfig) assume that link to exist. If I set this link manually, run
> quikconfig and then quik, all I have to do is to set open firmware values
> with these commands: (to boot and install from floppies I have resetted them
> by pressing alt-apple-r-p)
>
> nvsetenv boot-device ata/ata-disk@0:0
> nvsetenv boot-file "/boot/vmlinux"
> nvsetenv output-device   screen
> nvsetenv input-device    kbd
>
> After this, my system (PowerMac 4400/200, 48mb) boots from hard disc.

Ok, this needs a quik-installer package.

> As opposed to an earlier statement by myself there seems to be no need for a
> partman-quik: I succeded in installing quik onto a 120gb / (root) partition
> as well as on a 7gb / (root) partition. Does anybody know of limits within
> quik ? I'm very pleased that those nasty IDE limitations (the primary/logical
> partitioning crap as well) doesn't seem to exist, but I would really like for
> sure.

Not that i know of.

> Anyway, I'm not sure how to incorporate setting the open firmware values.
> Should that be part of a quik-installer ? I guess it should, but would like
> to get comments. Some macs require special open firmware settings, mostly for
> boot-device, see http://penguinppc.org/projects/quik/defaults.shtml and
> http://penguinppc.org/projects/quik/quirks.shtml) and right now I'm wondering
> whether it's possible to detect the mac modell or if it will be neccassary to
> prompt the user.

Don't know, we need to investigate.

> Should I fill a bug report against kernel-package-2.4.25-powerpc (quik needs
> the link) ?

You can, but it will not bring much. I am aware of this problem, as
explained above, but it is not an easy fix.

> Should I fill a bug report against d-i about the successfull install on a
> 120gb ide-harddisc and close the bug immediatly ?

No idea what the best practice is on this.

Friendly,

Sven Luther