Re: d-i oldworld mac: floppies fail on 4400/200 and 7200/75

Hi!

See comments interleaved below...

Rick

Malte Cornils wrote:

> Hi Rick,
>
> On Fri, Apr 09, 2004 at 01:37:21AM -0400, Rick Thomas wrote:
> > Errors like that are usually symptomatic of a dirty/dusty floppy drive.
> >
> > In particular, if the boot floppy is ejected, it means that the
> > firmware got an error trying to read it, or couldn't find the magic
> > numbers in the magic places that it was expecting from a real-live
> > Macintosh boot floppy.
>
> The boot floppy is ejected after the miboot run (the little icon
> with the penguin) had finished and few more seconds (enough time for
> the kernel to boot and display the usual "insert root disk" message)
> have passed.  Floppy ejection at this point is normal and could also
> mean that the kernel boots fine, only that the local console is
> broken.

In my experience, the floppy is *not* automatically ejected when the
"insert root disk" message comes up.  I always have to use the
paper-clip trick to get the disk out so I can put the root disk in.
(Again, in my experience) the only time the disk is automatically
ejected is when the firmware has a problem reading it.

This is with two machines -- a beige G3 mini-tower and a PowerMac 6500/225.

> > You should clean *both* the drive you will be writing the disk on,
> > and the one you will be reading it on.
>
> That is the second attempt was made on completely unrelated systems
> (both the PC generating the floppy and the Mac were different).
>
> Disk was made apparently without errors, and cmp showed no
> differences. (I was more careful with that after your last mail
> regarding that topic).

That's a good sign.  But (as you've seen) not conclusive -- the reading
drive could be dirty (or out of calibration -- which  is actually more
serious because the only fix for that is to replace it.  It would cost
more to have it recalibrated than the drive's worth.)

> > Also, buy a box of new floppies.  Don't use floppys that have been
> > sitting around the house for a few years.  They accumulate dust
> > over time and the oxide deteriorates.
>
> Yeah, that was when I was shocked how (relatively) expensive floppies
> had become now that almost no one uses them anymore.

Sigh!  So true...

> I will buy a cleaning set soon,

I think you'll see a dramatic difference when you do.  I couldn't get
anything to work at all until I'd cleaned all the drives twice!

> but I would appreciate it if someone
> could test the current images (Holger?) on similar hardware.

I'll test the latest daily-build boot floppies this weekend on both of
my test machines and send you a report.

> Yours
> -Malte

Enjoy!