Re: About that Alpha kernel bug mentioned in beta3 errata

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Steve Langasek wrote:

> Hi Bjoern,
>
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 12:44:48AM +0200, Bjoern Brill wrote:
> > if that bug (alpha cannot install from SCSI cdrom) is the one mentioned in
> > <http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/debian-boot-200401/msg00374.html>,
> > then I've run into it as well with a daily build shortly before d-i beta3.
> > Is this fixed now? If not here is some additional info:

[...]

> Yes, this is the same bug.  The beta3 on alpha released with a 2.4.24
> kernel.  Could I ask you to test out a more recent daily snapshot, to
> confirm for me whether this bug still exists in the 2.4.25-based images?
> Since I have no SCSI cdrom's at hand, I can't exactly test for this,
> though I'm happy to work on debugging the code if that's where the
> problem lies.

I'm just trying the latest daily build (dated Mar 31 23:03) of
sarge-alpha-businesscard.iso:
~ # uname -a
Linux kruemel 2.4.25-1-generic #1 Tue Feb 24 08:10:58 EST 2004 alpha unknown

The bug is still there. I can work around it as previously described.
(Not that this would buy me much, installation did and still does fail later
on due to broken packages and other stuff. This time we fail to install
libc6.1_2.3.2.ds1-11 because it tries to overwrite /etc/default/devpts which
is also in package initscripts. Last time the netinst iso had no network
driver modules. Before that aboot was uninstallable because aboot-base was
missing. Isn't there a way I can _declare_ a step has completed
successfully and clean up the breakage myself? Hrrm well.)

> If it turns out to be a gcc optimization problem, I'm afraid I'm out of
> my depth where debugging kernels is concerned.

So am I. But I think compiler problems are usually cared for not that
different from bugs: since one can't do much about the actual problem unless
the compiler gets fixed (which can take quite some time), one works around
it by slightly restating or reordering the code and hoping a different
optimization case kicks in and the error goes away.

Regards,

Bjoern
--
Bj"orn Brill <brill@fs.math.uni-frankfurt.de>