Re: goals for next release

On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 04:55:02PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> We've finally shipped powerpc as part of beta3, and now it's time to
> turn our attention to the next release. In the latest post from the
> release managers[1], there is a plan to release beta4 of d-i in the 4th
> week of April, and a requirement that it work "fairly reliably" on all
> release candidate architectures. Of course hppa, s390, and mipsel are
> the potential problems architectures here; arm is coming along well with
> already two subarches working, and we've shipped every other architecture
> in beta3.

Full powerpc 32bit support (already there in the daily builds, missed
the beta3 update deadline though).

Support for either 64bit powerpc (power3, power4 or G5 based
pserie/pmac, iserie), either as a debian-installer build on top of a
64bit kernel, or for the installation of a 64 bit kernel in
base/kernel-installer.

Better choice for powerpc kernels (UP vs SMP, powerpc vs powerpc-small,
32bit vs 64bit kernels).

I am working on building 64bit 2.6 kernels for powerpc. I still need
some support from the toolchain (a bi-arch gcc 3.4 or gcc 3.3 with some
backported patches), and possibly a few userland stuff too (procps,
module-init-tools, libncurses i am told).

Some more advanced choice of partition table layouts by partman,
including proposing partitioning choice needed per
architecture/subarchitecture/boot method. Proposing or enforcing them.

Friendly,

Sven Luther