goals for next release

We've finally shipped powerpc as part of beta3, and now it's time to
turn our attention to the next release. In the latest post from the
release managers[1], there is a plan to release beta4 of d-i in the 4th
week of April, and a requirement that it work "fairly reliably" on all
release candidate architectures. Of course hppa, s390, and mipsel are
the potential problems architectures here; arm is coming along well with
already two subarches working, and we've shipped every other architecture
in beta3.

Here then are some areas we should concentrate on for beta4:

* porting
	- s390 partition formatter and mounter
	- continue getting hppa back into shape
	- fix whatever problems are holding up mipsel
	- support as many powerpc, m68k, and arm subarches as possible
* fix all beta 3 errata
	- alpha installs from scsi CDROM
	- ia64 usb keyboard issues
	- sparc CDs
	- BIDI (if possible)

In order to release on the last week of April, we need to be winding
development up by the week before, around the 18th. The above is
probably more than enough to work on in the next two and a half weeks,
but here are some more things that would be nice for beta4 as well:

* a final boot logo (is that poll over with?)
* a less intimidating grub install screen
* the often requested feature of including other OSes in lilo/grub config
* support for the 2.6 kernel

--
see shy jo

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2004/debian-devel-announce-200403/msg00026.html