modprobe usb-storage

This is primarily a request for better documentation.

I desparately need to get memory sticks working on my Sony Vaio (PCG-Z505FA)
 The stuff I've found on the web falls into 3 categories: no idea; it just works on theirs; and modprobe several packages.

I've installed from the official stable Debian release 3.0 but can find no way to get useful information out of modprobe usb-storage

It is possible that the module is already in (lsmod doesn't see it if it is and mounting the memorystick doesn't work.)

If it is not there, where do I find it in the CDs, has it been replaced, what is the alternative?

Peter.