Re: Create bootable CD with custom kernel

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 01:39:02PM +0200, Pip Oomen wrote:
> I am currently trying to get Debian running on an Apple Xserve G4/133DP,
> but, as discussed with Sven Luther, it turns out the current pmac kernel
> does not include the correct IDE driver. While the change in the kernel
> makes its way into the nightlies, I was wondering if it is possible to
> build my own CD image.
>
> One thing that is complicating this however, is the fact that the
> building process is not capable of cross-building, and I am currently
> lacking any PPC machine to do the build on, although I did succeed in
> cross-compiling the kernel.
>
> Now, is anyone aware of a way to take today's nightly and somehow
> replace the kernel image with one I built myself?

Not an easy thing. Probably, if you built it in, you can just use the
new vmlinux, you need to use the exact same config though, and there is
chance that the symbols will not change, and thus the initrd should be
ok.

No guarantee though, as the module and versioned symbols stuff is still
mostly black magic for me.

Friendly,

Sven Luther