Re: Debian-installer, older hardware, boot loaders, miboot & amiboot & ..

On Sun, Mar 28, 2004 at 07:00:06PM -0500, Rick Thomas wrote:

> Sven Luther wrote:
> > Rick wrote:
> > > Now the part of debian-installer that died on me last night has an
> > > easy fix:  Simply do not install any boot loader at all for that
> > > subarchitecture.
> >
> > Rick, Quik can easily be used to boot from CD, no problem, sadly it
> > cannot be used to boot from floppies, and thus cannot be used to install
> > debian on a blank disk.
> >

> I'm glad to hear that quik can be used to boot CDs.  Sometime if
> you have the time, I'd like to hear how that's done.

Problem is that it then needs the mac os 9 cd driver, which is probably
loads more non-free than anything we have considered upto now.

> In either case, under my proposal, once the user has gone to the
> trouble of setting up MacOS and BootX for the install process,
> they might as well continue to use that setup for booting their
> production system.  Unless you (or someone) can come up with a
> foolproof way of packaging quik in a bootloader installer.

miboot should be able to do that just as fine.

> I'll do whatever I can to help with testing.  But if it drags out,
> there *is* always the "no boot loader" option as a last resort.

No problem. If you feel like disassembling the miboot stage 1
boot-sector, and providing me info on what it does, i would appreciate.
It seems i am legally barred from doing it myself if i want to write the
reimplementation.

Friendly,

Sven Luther