Re: lilo + raid = disaster (again)

hi ya antony

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004, Antony Gelberg wrote:

> Ok, this is very annoying.  I was converting a server to RAID-1.  The
> drives are SATA and use the siimage driver.  They are hda and hdc.
>
> I had a nice Woody system up and running on hda.  I created /dev/md0
> with hdc, and a missing drive.

"missing disk installs" always leads to too many problems ... the extreme
hard way to do things
	10x - 100x cheaper in time and $$$ to just get a temporary
	3rd disk and copy the files to it ... and use the real
	hda and hdc as if its was its first time install

	just a couple minutes to just build /dev/md0 and all its
	partitions

> I did a cp -ax to copy everything on hda
> to md0.

how did you create /dev/md0 ( with the missing disks ) ??
	raid2  stop ; raid2 start ??
	raidstop /dev/md0 ; raidstart /dev/md0 ??
	mdadd ??
	mdadm ??

before copying the files ...
	- how did you confirm /dev/md0 was working

	- cat /proc/mdstat   will be a good start ...
	and should say "resyncing" when its raiding its files

what is the partition type
	fdisk -l /dev/hda
	fdisk -l /dev/hdc

	should all be "fd" type .. NOT "83" ( linux )

> All I needed was to get the boot loader sorted.  I put boot=/dev/md0 and
> root=/dev/md0 in lilo.conf, and changed fstab to mount / on md0.

so far so good ..

you probably have additional errors someplace

>  Lilo
> came back with some errors.  Unfortunately I don't have them to hand,
> but it was something like the boot map not being on the root device
> (this is vague, sorry).
>
> So I tried lilo -M /dev/hda and then /dev/hdc.

you cannot run lilo on each individual disks if you expect to boot
off and run off that raid device

>  This is where it goes a
> bit fuzzy.  On reboot, I only got the dreaded LI.  I unplugged hda, and
> hdc came up with lots of 01 (or something) repeated.

that is expected due yto your incorrect lilo usage

at this point... you have to boot off a standalone root/boot cdrom or
floppy with raid support
	- rebuild /dev/md0
	- create a correct lilo.conf  file
		( boot=/dev/md0 ... root=/dev/md0 )
	- rerun lilo or grub

> I need to install lilo properly.  I noticed that the latest d-i contains
> 2.4.25, which has the siimage driver, so I gave it a crack.  I could nip
> into the shell and mount the disks, but I could not for the life of me
> get lilo to work.  I'd settle for just getting it back on /dev/hda, and
> then actually trying to get the booting RAID set up without shagging it
> all up again.  I tried lilo -r /mnt, but it said that -r was an
> unrecognised option.
>
> (I have another box booting off RAID-1, and it doesn't need the
> raid-extra-boot line.)
>
> Any ideas or help would be more appreciated than you might believe.

> PS d-b folks, please CC me as I'm not subbed.
> PPS I couldn't build a lilo floppy as this box is floppyless.

hopefully you have a cdrom drive

> PPPS Was this problem caused by trying to install lilo on a running
> system with / mounted to hda not md0?

yes

> Put another way, would it work if
> I booted from lilo on hda, mounted / as md0, _then_ ran lilo on md0?

no .. will NOT work

c ya
alvin