Re: Partitioner LVM issues

On 20.III.2004 at 08:10 Andrew Pollock wrote:

> Disk setup: 1 IDE disk, /dev/hda, previously partitioned thusly:
>
> /dev/hda1	Windows 2000		60G
> /dev/hda2	Linux (type 82)		500M
> /dev/hda3	Linux swap		500M
> /dev/hda4	Linux LVM (type 8e)	Lotsa
>
> Everything's great like this, it works fine.
>
> I initially went to try and install having something like this:
>
> /dev/hda1	Windows 2000		60G
> /dev/hda2	Linux LVM (type 8e)	60G
>
> When I got to the "configure LVM" stage, it barfed, saying I had no physical
> volumes or something to that effect.

I suppose that the following has happened.  Your original
configuration contains active LVM volumes.  This means that the kernel
is using /dev/hda4 and as a result the kernel is unable to reread the
partition table.

If I am right, the following should work:

1. Before you repartition, go to "configure LVM"
2. Remove all physical volumes
3. Return to partman and repartition as you wish
4. Go again to "configure LVM" and create whatever volumes you want
5. Return to partman and asign mount points, etc.

Partman should disallow changes in a partition table that is used by
the kernel.  This is already reported bug (#239441,#238388).

Anton Zinoviev