Partitioner LVM issues

Hi,

Finally got around to playing around with the beta 3 install. I've had a
number of issues doing a slightly complicated install, which I'll write a
number of emails about as I manage to reproduce the problem enough times to
have enough information to write about them confidently.

Here's one I think I can do now:

Disk setup: 1 IDE disk, /dev/hda, previously partitioned thusly:

/dev/hda1	Windows 2000		60G
/dev/hda2	Linux (type 82)		500M
/dev/hda3	Linux swap		500M
/dev/hda4	Linux LVM (type 8e)	Lotsa

Everything's great like this, it works fine.

I initially went to try and install having something like this:

/dev/hda1	Windows 2000		60G
/dev/hda2	Linux LVM (type 8e)	60G

When I got to the "configure LVM" stage, it barfed, saying I had no physical
volumes or something to that effect.

So I then when back to the original partitioning scheme and everything was
good. This puzzled me, so I went and tried this:

/dev/hda1	Windows 2000		60G
/dev/hda2	Linux (type 82)		500M
/dev/hda3	Linux LVM (type 8e)	Lotsa
/dev/hda4	Linux swap		500M

and again, it failed similarly. It seems I can only partition the disk using
the original partitioning scheme outline above for it to work. This made me
suspicious that it was only working because it might been finding the
remnants of an LVM physical volume signature from a previous install or
something...

regards

Andrew