Re: VFS kernel panic when booting debian-installer from hard disk

You're right. I could have worked this out from the
HOWTO: it mentions these options for GRUB. But I
looked at the installation manual, and it mentioned
these options for GRUB but not LILO. So I assumed LILO
didn't need them. Actually, I did OK with just the
devfs option; although I ran into more problems later,
trying to mount the iso, so maybe I need more
options...

Could the HOWTO have something like this addition
(section 2.5)

"For lilo, add this section to your lilo.conf, then
run /sbin/lilo

image=/vmlinuz
label=newinstall
initrd = /initrd.gz
append="devfs=mount,dall"

and could the manual have similar changes made to the
installing via hard drive section?

cheers
dave

 --- Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote: > David
Hugh-Jones wrote:
> > I'm trying to install debian using
> debian-installer. I'm booting from the hard
> > disk, using the method recommended by the
> Installation HOWTO, section 2.5
> >
> > The relevant lilo.conf entry:
> >
> >   image = /vmlinuz
> >   label = newinstall
> >   initrd = /initrd.gz
> >
> > And in the root directory I have vmlinuz,
> initrd.gz and sarge-i386-netinst.iso
> > .
> >
> > When I try to boot, the kernel loads OK but then
> throws a kernel panic because
> > the VFS is unable to mount the root filesystem. I
> have googled around, and I
> > assume this is because the kernel doesn't have
> support for my hard drive
> > compiled in.
>
> No, it's unable to mount your initrd. Here are the
> parameters we pass to
> the kernel at boot, you probably need lilo to append
> some of them to the
> kernel command line:
>
> vga=normal initrd=initrd.gz ramdisk_size=8192
> root=/dev/rd/0 devfs=mount,dall rw
>
> --
> see shy jo

name=signature.asc