Re: VFS kernel panic when booting debian-installer from hard disk

David Hugh-Jones wrote:
> I'm trying to install debian using debian-installer. I'm booting from the hard
> disk, using the method recommended by the Installation HOWTO, section 2.5
>
> The relevant lilo.conf entry:
>
>   image = /vmlinuz
>   label = newinstall
>   initrd = /initrd.gz
>
> And in the root directory I have vmlinuz, initrd.gz and sarge-i386-netinst.iso
> .
>
> When I try to boot, the kernel loads OK but then throws a kernel panic because
> the VFS is unable to mount the root filesystem. I have googled around, and I
> assume this is because the kernel doesn't have support for my hard drive
> compiled in.

No, it's unable to mount your initrd. Here are the parameters we pass to
the kernel at boot, you probably need lilo to append some of them to the
kernel command line:

vga=normal initrd=initrd.gz ramdisk_size=8192 root=/dev/rd/0 devfs=mount,dall rw

--
see shy jo