Re: RFC: specification for probing other OSes

On 19.III.2004 at 13:43 Wouter Verhelst wrote:

> That's not what this is about. AIUI, this thing tries to detect stuff by
> looking at a partitioning table.

Sure.  I want us to develop more generic interface between
/usr/share/os-prober/lib.sh and the boot loaders.  os-prober/lib.sh
doesn't have to use all possibilities of the interface.

> Also, parsing /etc/lilo.conf will only work if you
> a) happen to be running on i386
> b) on a machine which uses LILO, not GRUB or some other bootloader

All boot loaders have configuration files that can be parsed in some
way (well, in theory).

Anton Zinoviev