Re: not releasing powerpc (Re: beta3 released)

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 09:31:06AM +0000, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 09:59:14PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> > Also, Colin said he would have a look at this this evening, so we will
> > know tomorrow about it.
>
> OK, I built kernel-patch-2.4.25-powerpc without your postinst hack.
> (Incidentally, this is just how it builds by default. If you want to
> have a postinst hack, it *must* be in the source package or in a

Yeah. I had been struggling with this stuff for more than 48 hours
though, and also usually submit the patch to Manoj for inclusion in
kernel-package.

> build-dependency, not just a local change on your system, otherwise
> people won't be able to rebuild it correctly. It would be very
> embarrassing if a kernel security update broke d-i!)

Well, as i usually build powerpc security kernels, ...

> It seems to install successfully:

Ok, can you put them somewhere i can download them (i need the modules
and the -chrp image) and i will give it a try.

>   root@cairhien:/tmp# dpkg -i kernel-image-2.4.25-powerpc-pmac_2.4.25-2_powerpc.deb kernel-modules-2.4.25-powerpc_2.4.25-2_powerpc.deb
>   Selecting previously deselected package kernel-image-2.4.25-powerpc-pmac.
>   (Reading database ... 8747 files and directories currently installed.)
>   Unpacking kernel-image-2.4.25-powerpc-pmac (from kernel-image-2.4.25-powerpc-pmac_2.4.25-2_powerpc.deb) ...
>   Selecting previously deselected package kernel-modules-2.4.25-powerpc.
>   Unpacking kernel-modules-2.4.25-powerpc (from kernel-modules-2.4.25-powerpc_2.4.25-2_powerpc.deb) ...
>   Setting up kernel-modules-2.4.25-powerpc (2.4.25-2) ...
>   Setting up kernel-image-2.4.25-powerpc-pmac (2.4.25-2) ...
>   depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.4.25-powerpc/kernel/drivers/sound/kahlua.o
>   /boot/vmlinux does not exist. Installing from scratch, eh?
>   Or maybe you don't want a symbolic link here. Hmm? Lets See.
>
>   root@cairhien:/tmp# ls -l /boot/vmlinux
>   lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           22 Mar 17 09:11 /boot/vmlinux -> vmlinux-2.4.25-powerpc
>
> Can you clarify the problem with leaving the symlink code in? I don't
> seem to be seeing it. If I can reproduce it then I stand more chance of
> fixing it.

This is in a d-i chroot ?

> This image puts the symlink in /boot/vmlinux. I think just /vmlinux

No, i think not. It is often the case that /boot and / are not on the
same partition, especially as some OF seem not to be able to boot from
ext3/whatever file systems you use for /.

but then symlinks are broken on my OFs ext2 code, i need to have a look
and fix that though.

> would be better, since that's what kernel-package does by default so
> it'll be more compatible with people's locally-built kernels: my
> locally-built kernels have been using /vmlinux without me giving any
> special directions. However, if it stays as /boot/vmlinux then
> yaboot-installer needs to be told about it.

Do you know what filesystems yaboot is able to boot from. Also remember
that not everyone uses yaboot. What about quik for example ?

> > I think maybe it would be more interesting to fix yaboot-installer
> > instead so it doesn't rely on the symlink being present, but fall back
> > to using the real kernel in case the symlink is missing, this would
> > add more robustness to the whole process.
>
> I'm not keen on that idea. The resulting system wouldn't be upgradeable
> as smoothly if its yaboot.conf hardcoded the kernel-image version rather
> than using the symlink, which would be an unexpected kick in the teeth
> for people doing kernel security updates.

Well, you could naturally have kernel-image postinst upgrade that file,
as i guess it is done on native grub/lilo systems on x86. Not sure
though.

Anyway, current kernel-package is utterly broken with regard to powerpc,
for example it doesn't know how to detect if you are on a old world or a
new world machine, and thus if you need yaboot or quik.

What are the exact requirement of yaboot in this area ?

And as said, i would very much like to get ride of kernel-package, and
do it by hand. What is needed :

  1) make sure we don't overwrite modules, and do the proper stuff on
  upgrades.

  2) handle the vmlinuz symlinks.

What else ?

Friendly,