Re: not releasing powerpc (Re: beta3 released)

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 07:44:20PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> I've dropped powerpc entirely from beta3. Of the images we produced, the
> netinst CD images do not work for any powerpc subarch, because they
> don't have usable kernels on them. Also, the kernel images have a broken
> postinst that does not set up the /vmlinux symlink for yaboot. And
> yaboot-installer hardcoded the path[1] to archdetect and gets it wrong, so
> that's also broken. For details, talk to Colin Watson.

yaboot-installer is #238208, trivial fix therein.

The kernel images have a postinst that looks like this:

  # Only change the symlinks if we are not being upgraded
  # (strangely broken on powerpc, i wonder why, let's work around it so d-i is not broken.
  if ((! defined $ARGV[1] || ! $ARGV[1] || $ARGV[1] =~ m/<unknown>/og) && $arch !~ m/powerpc/) {
    image_magic($kimage, $image_dest);
  }
  else {
    print STDERR "Not updating image symbolic links since we are being updated ($ARGV[1])\n";
  }

I can't work out from the kernel-patch-2.4.22-powerpc changelog what was
"strangely broken on powerpc", but whatever it was the workaround has
broken newworld systems that use yaboot and expect that symlink. Sven,
do you have details of the cause of this change?

> Rather than say that beta3 supports only netboot and businesscard
> installs for prep and chrp, I've dropped the whole thing. If the powerpc
> people would like to release in a week, I suggest you get your act
> together and begin testing full installs on all powerpc subarches.

I'm sorry for not getting into newpmac testing until late in the game.
Unless I can figure out how to do something USB-stick-ish, I guess I'll
invest in a stock of blank CDs and keep going.

> (Also, the hurried yaboot-installer release made yesterday to fix *other*
> serious problems on powerpc was never actually committed to the CVS
> tree.)

Yes it was, just on a branch (debian_version_0_0_13_fixes). On the
trunk, libdebian-installer claims to have a fix for the root cause of
that problem.

Cheers,