Re: Can you help with debugging the problem?

On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 04:30:48PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Shaul Karl]
> > The installation fails because the kernel-image package is not
> > installed during the installation of the base system. The error message
> > that was written to var/log/messages is:
> >
> >     /usr/sbin/mkinitrd: Cannot determine root device
> >
> > Any suggestion what to do in order to get more information about the
> > problem?
>
> Are you using the automatic partitioning?  Someone changed the system
> used to generate /etc/fstab, and this broken autopartkit.  The problem
> appeared when the kernel was to be installed, and the content of
> /target/etc/fstab was bogus.  This was fixed yesterday.
>
> Check the content of fstab, and try to run /usr/lib/partconf/mkfstab
> to generate it and see if that helps.

  Indeed target/etc/fstab contained only the line:

      # UNCONFIGURED FSTAB FOR BASE SYSTEM

  I am not sure what the autopartkit is, which is why I can't tell for
sure whether I used it or not. By its name I believe this is a tool for
automatic partitioning, in which case my answer is `probably not'. I
believe I didn't use it. Instead, I probably have partitioned the disk
by following the `Partition a hard drive' option and then `Configure
and mount partitions'.
  In any case, the problem was indeed an empty target/etc/fstab. There
fore I went back, and after what seemed to be a successful termination
of `Configure and mount partitions', I couldn't even see the
target/etc/fstab because target didn't had an etc directory. I then
followed your suggestion and ran /usr/lib/partconf/mkfstab, which indeed
created an appropriate target/etc/fstab. After that I could walk through
the rest of the installation process and eventually boot the machine into
the base system configuration menu.
--
"If you have an apple and I have  an apple and we  exchange apples then
you and I will still each have  one apple. But  if you have an idea and I