Can you help with debugging the problem?

  The installation fails because the kernel-image package is not
installed during the installation of the base system. The error message
that was written to var/log/messages is:

    /usr/sbin/mkinitrd: Cannot determine root device

  Any suggestion what to do in order to get more information about the
problem?

  I have tried the following:

1. Execute a shell.
2. chroot target
3. cd /tmp
4. mkinitrd -ko initrd /lib/modules/2.4.25-1-686/

  Is this supposed to work? I got the following error message:

    /usr/sbin/mkinitrd: /dev/fd does not exist

which is false because /dev/fd as well as a bunch of other /dev/fd*
devices do exist. Or at least this is my interpretation for the output
of
    ls /dev/fd*

Is this (one of) the bugs that makes my installation attempts to fail or
is this behavior expected in a chroot environment? Why I didn't get the
error message about not being able to determine root device?
  Can I finish the installation by issuing a couple of commands in the
chroot environment?
--
"If you have an apple and I have  an apple and we  exchange apples then
you and I will still each have  one apple. But  if you have an idea and I