Weird problem after kernel/lilo upgrade

Hi,

I did apt-get upgrade yesterday, and additionaly installed the latest
kernel-image(4.25 and 6.3) debs. The system was not updated from about
mid February. I've rebooted the system after the upgrade, just to verify
everything is ok. Unfortunately now I'm getting the:

I've tried reverting the kernel-image to the previous one installed,
and also noticed that lilo was also upgraded in that "apt-get upgrade",
so reverted it also. I've also tried specifying different bootparams -
specifying the root device, giving the hda=noprobe hda=..., etc. etc.
I've also looked at lilo.conf, and ran lilo several times(the new and
the reverted version).
Unfortunately I'm not able to boot with any of the Debian supplied kernels.

I got an slack 8.1 bootable cd, passed the root=/dev/hda2 and it booted ok.
The kernel from netinsts cd from mid february also boots ok with default
params, but is not able with root=/dev/hda2.

Here are the last several lines before the kernel panic msg:

RAMDISK: cramfs filesystem found at block 0
RAMDISK: Loading 3948 blocks [1 disk] into ram disk... done.
Freeing initrd memory: 3938k freed
VFS: Mounted root (cramfs filesystem).
VFS: Cannot open root device "302" or 03:02

It's debian sid running on HP Vectra P3 500Mhz, 20G ide, 128 mem etc.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Delian

P.S. please cc me since I'm not currently subscibed to the list.