sarge-alpha-businesscard: CD-ROM can't be mounted from menu

I've got a "new" AlphaServer 1000A 4/266 and wanted to try out
the new sarge images (after having successfully installed some
i386 machines with it). The image I have downloaded yesterday
has file dates from "Mar 8 21:15" in the newest files.

I will supply a more formal report later, if you wish, but
now I am mainly asking if there is an easy workaround for
me to continue installing:

I boot successfully, I get to the menu, but when I try to
mount the cdrom (SCSI, id 4), the installer can't mount it.

It is detected as (retyped):

Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel0, id 4, lun 0
sr0 scsi-1 drive
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision 3.12

The install log has

insmod sd_mod
Using /lib/modules/2.4.24-1-generic/kernel/drivers/scsi/sr_mod.o

as last line.

When I mount the drive manually by mounting

/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target4/lun0/cd

it works just fine, but it gives me following message:

mount: /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target4/lun0/cd is write protected, mounting
read-only
VFS: Can't find ext2 filesystem on dev sr(11,0).
mount: /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target4/lun0/cd is write protected, mounting
read-only
cramfs: wrong magic
mount: /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target4/lun0/cd is write protected, mounting
read-only

When I look at /dev/cdroms/cdrom0, it gives a symbolic link to

yyyscsi/host0/bus0/target4/lun0/cd

with the "yyy"s having dots on them like umlauts or diaresis
characters. I tried en_US as well as en_UK or de_DE just to
exclude a problem with the locale or charset.

Is there a way to continue (e.g. by mounting the CD manually
at the right spot or by overriding the CD-Rom detection)?

main-menu produces lots of unaligned traps btw, if that
makes any difference (though not during trying to mount
the cdrom as far as I have seen).

I will gladly try out everything, as the machine is
without OS and nothing can be destroyed anyway ; )

TIA
/ralph