Re: Simple BIDI tests for Debian Installer

On Wed, Mar 10, 2004 at 01:53:40PM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> (Copy to Baruch Evan, libfribidi0 package maintainer....maybe you could
> help in getting BIDI support in D-I?? Copy to other BIDI languages
> translators I'm aware of. Please keep CC list if possible)
>
> While looking at all this BIDI stuff, I made a very simple test:
>
> After "apt-get install libfribidi0" on my system, I did:
>
> fribidi ~/src/debian/d-i/HEAD/debian-installer/tools/languagechooser/languagelist.l10n
>
> This in a gnome-terminal with some hebrew/japanese/russian/arabic
> fonts installed. This gave me an interesting result-->while all
> left-to-right languages were still properly displayed, both RTL
> languages (hebrew and arabic) lines were shown inverted (so I guess
> this is the correct output) for the Arabic/Hebrew part only (the
> English part was still LTR).

LTR languages should look reversed to you, so it sounds as if it is ok.

> My conclusion is that we probably can have a very very very simple way
> to properly display Arabic/Hebrew by just piping the strings we want
> to display through fribidi....

I'm out of touch with debian-installer (for anyone who wondered what D-I
is). What sort of support is expected from it in regards to LTR
languages? (I myself normally use English in computers so I'm not the
average user to know what is wanted).

> We have to make it, guys. Arabic/Hebrew/Farsi support in Debian
> Installer depend on this.

Does the D-I uses gtk+2.0? If so it should have BIDI support built in.
Is it completely text based? Then you need to add manual support, is it
only for displaying text, or also for data input?

A request for help about D-I with bidi support is best referred to
linux-il mailing list, there are some very knowledgeable peoples there
regarding bidi behaviour in UIs.

Regards,
Baruch