BIDI support in D-i (was: Re: Arabic Farsi support for d-i)

Quoting Arash Bijanzadeh (a.bijanzadeh@linuxiran.org):
> Dear Christian,
> Some week back you have contacted me about the Farsi translation of d-i
> . I did test the installer and find out that not Farsi nor arabic
> appears correctly in the installer. There is no RTL and no joining for
> our glyphs. I wonder who is working on it? Can I help to solve this
> problems or how else can I help to get the rendering correctly?

Indeed we currently are missing BIDI support in Debian Installer. This
is one of the main reasons these translations cannot currently be
used, unfortunately...:-(

However, if someone manages to have the needed skills for implementing
BIDI support, then having translations ready will be a major
improvement.

Anmar Oueja (CC'ed) who did the Arabic translation coordination with
people at Arabeyes.org tried to get in touch with some people for
this...but didn't suceed yet.

Maybe your help could bring us the needed manpower.

I cannot properly tell what exactly is needed but again the
debian-boot list is the appropriate place for talking about this.

The BIDI support nearly certainly needs to be implemented in the newt
stuff which is used by debconf/cdebconf.....

Some building against libfribidi of whatever...but not being competent
for all this, this is all I can tell.

PS : Hebrew translators are also deeply interested in this.

/me cross my fingers for you being a strong hacker and able to help on
BIDI support....