Re: Trouble installing debian onto a Proliant server

On Sun, Feb 29, 2004 at 01:05:19PM -0600, Douglas A. Paquette Jr. wrote:
> To whom it may concern at Debian,
>
> I have a Compaq Proliant 8000 server with 4 Ultra 320 10k 72.8 gig scsi hard drives.
>
> http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/proliant8000/
>
> I had a guy from a computer store successfully install debian into my proliant 8000,
> but ran into some problems between my webmaster and this guy
> and this guy will not tell me anything as to how he got it installed.
Buy another Proliant 8000  :-)

Please read on for more information.

> I want to format and reinstall debian into my proliant 8000 again
> for a fresh install but for some reason Debian is not detecting
> any hard drives during the first part of the install process.
>
> I have setup raid 5 array and a system partition using Compaq's Smart Start CD
> and still it does not detect any drives.
>
> I have even wiped out all the data and installed the debian cd with no drives partitioned,
> no raid, no array config or anything and still no go.
>
> Is there anyone who has any experience installing debian on proliant servers who could help me out with this.
>
> I have done everything i know of to do.
>
> I have no problem installing Red hat linux version 9, it detects the drives and the raid config without hesitation.
>
> But debian doesnt.

So I think there was no no Debian Volunteer with acces to that hardware.

> dcpaq2@dopplerexpress.net or 708-334-5845
>
> Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

_You_ could be that volunteer.

> Thanks for your time.

* Visit http://bugs.debian.org/234887 it is about a Proliant with array controllor.

* Build the kernel module.

* Update discover-data

* Include it in your home build debian-installer

* Do the next install attempt

Anyone with smart questions[1] is welcome.

> Sincerely,
>
> Doug Paquette

Cheers
Me, probably too sarcastic.