Re: willing to help

Hi Valentin

Am Saturday 28 February 2004 23:50 schrieb Valentin Brard:
> hello,
>
> I'm Valentin Brard. I'm really interested in Linux. I've been using it
> for several years now. I have tried several distributions and knoppix
> helped me switching to debian (after a broken hdinstall i finally
> installed debian from scratch).
>
> Anyways, I would like to help develop linux and debian.
> After taking a look at the sections that need some help, I found out
> working on the installer could be a good first step.
Yeah, cool! Welcome!

> Concerning my knowledge, I am an electronics engineer. I've been working
> in the field of video compression. I have done some hardware
> development, but also a lot of software development, integration and
> testing (mainly C, but also perl and others). Thus I could help for
> development and testing. I am also a native french and german speaker,
> so I could help for some translation if required.
The most valuable ressource for finding todos is this mailinglist. d-i is in
the beta cycle in the moment. A lot of work is done. The translations are
reaching 100%. But there is, of course, still much to do...

First thing is to do an install using d-i. You will then get a feeling for the
current state of the project.

Then you could write a installation-report. A template comes with the
installation.

You could categorize installation-reports. Have a look at:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/debian-boot-200401/msg02862.html

Translation for de and fr is quite mature. There was a mail on the list with
same status information for the translations, from Christian Perrier IIRC.
(it isn't in the archive yet...the title is: release status --> l10n enhanced
status)

A hot topic is the new partitionmanager. The next beta and the release of
sarge is getting closer every day. And partman is not yet ready... Joey Hess
has filed many bugreports for it. Maybe you could help there.
See the treath started with:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2004/debian-boot-200402/msg01788.html

There is a call for help, with some TODOs at:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2004/debian-devel-announce-200401/msg00015.html

> So droop me a line if you think I can be of any help...
Done:-)

> best regards,
> Valentin Brard
Gruss