Re: success report - dell gx270 with SATA disks

elijah wright wrote:
> just filing a success report - the 'current' (2/24?) sarge bootcdimage
> managed to install on my SATA-disks-only dell gx270.  i'd been fighting it
> for most of a week.  i chose to try it one more time after seeing new
> stuff roll into the archive last night - the 2/17 images had not worked.

Well that is good news, I think this is the first indication we've had
that SATA works with d-i.

> one quirk i noticed - it never asked me for network configuration
> information, at all.  i had to go in post-install and edit resolv.conf and
> /etc/network/interfaces by hand.

Known problem, will be fixed in tomorrow's images.

> one other quirk - i installed with usb keyboard and mouse.  asking to use
> LILO bootloader seemed to harass 'discover' into running and putting the
> system into an endless loop [some failures detecting hardware - maybe
> vesafb?  system has an nvidia fx5200 gfx card.  i also saw some messages
> about usb scroll by alongside the vesafb diagnostic message, along with a
> some executable or another dumping core.] .  i wound up re-starting the
> installation and using grub instead.  this is not terribly optimal,
> obviously.

It sounds like the installer crashed.

You mention you have a USB keyboard. Did it also work after the reboot
into the final system? This is something else we have fixed since beta 2
and not tested for sure.

--
see shy jo