Compiling kernel for laptop

I'm at a loss for words due to my own ignorance but I'm not sure what to do at this point.

I've compiled the 2.6.3 kernel by "make mrproper, make xconfig (saved .config), make-kpkg --revision=custom1.0 kernel_image modues_image.

The process runs thru w/ a few errors as listed below:

I've retyped the error so syntax may be just a bit off

CC [M]    drivers/pcmcia/i82365.o
drivers/pcmcia/i82365.c: In funciton 'is alive':
drivers/pcmica/i82365.c:665: warning: 'check_region' is depreciated (declard at include/linux/ioport.h:121)

these type of errors continue untill it's thru processing the pcmcia drivers with the words following In function that read 'isa_probe', 'i365_set_io_map', tcic_set_io_map'.

Now furthere down I see other /drivers/pcmcia/i82092.ko compile with no errors.  Again, I have no idea why this is occuring.

When the compiler reaches the "Linux PCMCIA Configuration Script" I get this:

** Your kernel is configured with PCMCIA driver support.  Therefore
**  'make all' will compile the PCMCIA utilities but not the drivers.
**   See README-2.4 if this is not what you intended

IMPORTANT NOTE FOR DEBIAN USERS
This means that a pcmcia-modules package will not be built.

Obviously this is a problem for me being that I'm running a laptop can you please advise.