Re: a test of converting to subversion

Denis Barbier wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 06:44:14PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Denis Barbier wrote:
> > > Translated manuals rely on cvs revision numbers, as with boot-floppies,
> > > so this change will be pretty painful here.  I see 2 solutions:
> > >   a) Automatically replace cvs revision numbers of original files in
> > >      translated documents with svn revision numbers.  Not sure if this
> > >      can be done.
> > >   b) Or generate a list of revision numbers for each files of the
> > >      original manual when it is switched to svn (it should be doable,
> > >      but no idea how).  Translators could first update their translated
> > >      documents to the final cvs HEAD (yes, after the switch to svn,
> > >      which means that cvs must not be disabled), then import their
> > >      translations into svn, and in each file replace cvs revision
> > >      numbers by svn ones at switching time.
> >
> > Is this used by doc-check or something else? doc-check seems to be
> > broken in cvs (and svn) -- just look at line 55.
>
> It is indeed badly broken ;)
> I just fixed it, but AFAICT translators did fill in cvs revision
> numbers in their translated documents, even if they could not yet
> take full advantage of them, so I still believe that this is an
> issue.

I agree, I was just having a hard time thinking about how to make it
work with svn when it was broken with cvs and I couldn't test it. :-)

I don't think there is a good way to map between cvs revisions and svn
revisions, but I will ask on the subversion list to be sure.

Failing that, your b) looks not too bad. One thing that makes it easier
is that due to svn's different versioning method, we only need to record
one number, the current revision of the whole repository after it is
switched to subversion (will be 9500 or so). As each translation is
brought over from cvs its "original version" field would be set to that
one well-known number.

--
see shy jo